The purpose of the I-9 is to help employers verify the identity and employment authorization of each person they hire. Every new employee hired after November 6, 1986, must have an I-9 form. Over the past few years, the number of I-9 audits has increased dramatically, so it’s important to make sure I-9s are being completed accurately and on time for every new employee. By establishing and maintaining effective I-9 policies, employers can prevent potential violations.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information entered by an employer from an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to records available to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration to confirm employment eligibility.
What do I need to complete?
There are two parts to the Form I-9: Section 1 and Section 2.
- Section 1 is for YOU to complete using your legally registered name, address, etc. The information in Section 1 should match the data on the documents you will be presenting.
- Section 2 is for an Authorized Representative of your choosing to complete:
- An Authorized Representative for the Form I-9 is a trusted individual over the age of 18 who will witness your identity and work authorization documentation in-person. They will attest to the penalty of perjury that the document(s) presented to them appear to be authentic and relate to you to the best of their knowledge. After witnessing your original document(s) in person and completing Section 2 of your I-9, they will then need to attach a copy of YOUR documents. (Please note: copies of their own personal documents are not needed)
- Have your original document (s) ready to provide to your Authorized Representative by reviewing the List of Acceptable Documents found here.
- Examples of Authorized Representatives: a family member, neighbor, roommate, or friend.
REMEMBER! The Form I-9 is a legally required document which means you can’t book your first shift without it. Once both sections of Form I-9 are completed, the app will automatically update to allow you to book shifts and start earning money!
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback, please reach out via email at [email protected] or through the chat feature in the Indeed Flex app. We’re always happy to help.